Friday, October 24, 2014

Welcome!

This is a brand-new blog for an exciting new phase in my life. I'm just beginning my adventure in learning more about photography. It's been something that I've always enjoyed and wanted to learn more about. My kids are growing up and I'm starting to think about what I want my life to look like now, and it seemed like the perfect time to try something different. I don't know where the journey will take me, but I hope you'll come along and find out!

I think my future as a photographer took off when I first traveled to Europe. My husband and I were lucky enough to visit Paris in 2001 and the UK in 2002. Those were the days before we had digital cameras, which is really hard for me to comprehend. I don't even remember what kind of camera I had - some version of a 35mm point and shoot. Here's one of my favorite photos from Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire.


In 2003 our son was born, followed by our daughter in 2006, so our travels didn't take us very far from home for a long time. But in 2013 we had the opportunity to spend the month of August in Germany, with a short side trip to Prague. It was amazing. We all want to go back. In fact, I could easily see myself as a travel photographer once my kids are grown. That is probably wishful thinking, but you never know! Anyway, I took a lot of photos on that trip, but here is just one of my favorites. This was taken in the Martin Luther house in Wittenberg.



Everything changed for me this past July when I really caught the photography bug. I've learned how to use a DSLR and spent lots of time studying and learning the technical and artistic aspects of shooting and processing. In an ideal world I'd get some time to go out with my camera every day, but sometimes my busy schedule or the weather don't allow that. I'm going to try to post at least one photo a day - it may not always be one I just shot, but it will be something I love.

I thought long and hard what I wanted to call my photography venture - maybe it will become a business one day, maybe not, but I figured I'd start as if it will be and then I'm prepared! Why did I choose Everyday Artistry? Because when I take photographs, I'm often looking at very ordinary things, or ordinary moments from everyday life. I want to find the art in the everyday. I'm learning to see everything around me in a new way, and that's what I like to capture with my photos. You'll see a mix of architecture, nature, wildlife, maybe even lifestyle portraits. If I get to travel - next up, New Orleans in April 2015! - then you can be sure I'll be capturing images along the way. But mostly I'm exploring my hometown in Massachusetts - the places I see every day and some special places I visit in the area, if I have the chance.

I hope you'll come along on this journey with me. I have no idea where the road will lead me, but I can't wait to explore. The next photo may be only five minutes away!

No comments:

Post a Comment